No one can simply tell you what the “classiest drinks” are, because that’s the wrong way to look at it. It’s not always about what you drink, it’s about how you drink.
Step 1 – Learn the terms
Sometimes the classiest thing is just knowing what the hell you’re talking about.
Here are a few must-know terms to ordering a drink like a man.
- Back – a small glass of something like water or soda that will be served with your drink
- Dirty – when a martini is served with olive juice
- Dry – another martini term for a martini with very little vermouth
- Neat – a drink served without any ice or garnish; essentially a shot (some people also use the term “straight up” but those people have seen too many movies)
- Well – an unidentified bottom shelf liquor you get when you don’t specify your liquor in a cocktail
So now you’re well on your way to not embarrassing yourself the second you open your mouth, but that next second can be tricky.
Step 2 – Know your liquor
Unless you’re a complete lush, you have a favorite booze. Unlike with your kids, you get to pick favorites here. Just don’t pick rum. Like ever. Unless you’re a pirate and then it’s okay.
Once you’ve pinned down the best poison for you, you need to learn more about it. And the best way to do this is, well, by drinking A LOT of it. If you like gin, make sure to order a different gin at the bar every time. Even if it’s in tonic water, you’ll start to pick up on subtle differences. You may not be the smartest guy at the bar, but you will know a hell of a lot about gin, which is better than nothing.
Sure you’ve got the terms down, and you even know a thing or two about your drink of choice. But classy drinking goes well beyond that. Know your limits. A buzz is one thing, but drunkenness is not a good color on anyone. Just ask any of these beautiful people who had one too many.
Also, just don’t be weird. Don’t call your bartender by his name unless you know him. And definitely don’t call him “barkeep.” Finally, make sure to tip the man/lady. I usually just do $1 a drink, but if you order something fancy, toss in an extra buck. Because if you take care of your bartender, he’s sure to take care of you.
Have something to say about the classiest drinks for men? Do share @mancrates