Probably the hardest part about being single and living alone is remembering that you are actually responsible for feeding yourself. Whether it’s forgetting to eat or forgetting to buy groceries, single dudes have it rough. So whenever I run across a great recipe online that doesn’t require excessive shopping/prepping/ cooking/cleaning, I get pretty excited.
The other day I hit the jackpot. Reddit user IronRectangle shared his version of the poor man’s Pad Thai. I of course tried it first and it may be the greatest inexpensive and quick meal since the McDouble.
The ingredients are simple and cheap. Top Ramen, peanut butter, Sriracha, and three eggs. I picked up a box of 24 packets of ramen for under $5 at my local grocery store and the peanut butter and Sriracha will last ages. As for the eggs, if you buy them in a 6-pack you’ll definitely eat them before they expire.
Here’s how to do it:
- Boil 2 cups of water
- Add the Top Ramen packet. Toss the seasoning, that stuff sucks
- Set timer to 3:33 for the noodles because you don’t have time for more than one button.
- When the timer goes off, leave the heat on high.
- Crack 3 eggs directly into the water, one at a time, stirring them into the noodles.
- Finish cooking until eggs look done (1-2 min. max)
- Unless you’re a communist who likes soupy ramen, drain the water
- Add a large dollop of peanut butter and let it melt on the noodles for a minute.
- Mix in peanut butter, and then begin to add Sriracha to taste.
You did it! For probably under $.50 you just made a pretty substantial AND relatively nutritious meal! I’ve made it about a dozen times now and I can do the whole process in under five minutes. Even better, total cleanup is a pot, a bowl, and a spoon.
Have a Bachelor Recipe of your own? Share it with us in the comments below!