Many people use their Man Crates as time capsules, to store tools, socks & video games, or as packaging for future gifts. There’s no higher calling for a crate than being put out to pasture through purposeful recycling. However in other cases- when you’re on the trail and can’t carry the weight, or when your crate has otherwise out-survived it’s mission and purpose, there’s a respectful way to dispose of it.
Man Crate Decommissioning Ceremony
Set a date and invite people who were a part of the Man Crate’s life. The gathering should be set for dusk, in a place where you can build a small ceremonial fire. Attendees should be dressed appropriately.
- Begin the ceremony with the lighting of the fire- the Man Crate should not be in the initial fire
- The crowbar should be present
- Present the crate to the group
- If you were given the crate as a gift, say a few words about the person who sent you the crate
- Recount the crate opening- where were you? How long did you struggle to pry the lid off?
Conclude the ceremony by placing the crate in the fire. Open beers. Toast the bonds between us that transcend the physical and give us our humanity.
Tell Us More
What did you do with your Man Crate once the chow was gone and the gear was put to use? Take a minute and write in to let us know how you’ve recycled your Man Crate.